Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Journey Tryst


The Appalachian Mountains

It is said, “The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step” (Lao-Tzu). As an aspiring writer, the journey towards finishing a novel with hopes of future publication is an arduous one. It takes determination and hard work.
Like many hopeful writers, I’ve been writing stories since an early age. During the second grade my teacher would give the class a random photograph of an animal, landscape, or object in which we were to write a story about it. I still have those construction paper bound early works.
In a way, that first step for me was at the age of seven, while in another way, as I become more serious about making this love into a livelihood, I feel that first step is a much more recent one.
In writing, peak after mountainous peak must be reached with celebration as you crest each one. For there you are, with many steps behind you, a lesson learned, a skill better harnessed, and for a moment, a clear view of where you are going. So as aspirants begin to descend into another writing valley, remember the single step that began the journey of your tryst with writing.

Photo taken from free-extras.com

No comments:

Post a Comment